Monday, January 12, 2009

Rain Shopping!

Our period of really "good" weather has ended and it has been raining for the past few days. I went on a grocery shopping adventure yesterday, which was surprisingly fun. Here, you have to pay for your grocery bags, so I basically loaded everything up in my backpack. I felt a little like a wilderness adventure girl with my pack o' supplies. I love all the different products they have here, but it makes me want to buy everything! I've noticed that everything, from the cars to the cereal boxes, is so much smaller here than in America. Even the refrigerators are smaller. Sometimes it feels like I am in a mini country, but I like the idea of minimizing. It reminds me that we don't really need as much as we think we do.

While I am on the subject of food, I also discovered the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I was ridiculously excited. The produce here is really pretty, all the carrots and potatoes were freshly dug and there was fresh fish that had basically been caught and then brought to the market. You can hear people buying and selling in a mixture of Irish and English, which is really cool.

After finding the Farmer's Market, I got to see James Joyce's Wife's house, since apparently she grew up in Galway. Her name was Nora Barnacle (No, I am not joking) and I pretty much think that is the best name EVER! I also went to a mass at the Galway Cathedral, which according to my Catholic friends was disappointing since it was spoken. We are planning to go to the 11:15 service next Sunday since I guess they have an AMAZING choir that sings, and I really want to hear them!


P.S. I am really sad that this thing absolutely REFUSES to let me put up pictures. I had a really nice one of the top of my University that I really wanted to put up...but it is all for naught. All I have to say is Why Irish internet, Why????

1 comment:

  1. I would love the farmer's market!!
    I'm really happy for you that it is now rainy, instead of merely freezing.
    Hooray for Nora!

    ReplyDelete