Tuesday, January 6, 2009

In Ireland...

So this is going to be a ridiculously long entry...since yesterday I was all jet-lagged and exhausted. The flight to Galway was great...I sat next to a man from Kerry who talked to me about how his aunt lived next door to Bono. I'm not sure if he was lying or not. Then I got lost in the Dublin airport but saw a couple with matching mullets which totally made up for the getting lost part. Upon arriving in Galway, I made some friends with other people in my program and we were directed to our prison cells...I mean, apartments. It is very tiny, with cinderblock walls and metal shelving. Since I bought these really bright pink sheets and cranked the heat up it isn't so bad though. After buying sheets and a towel I pretty much just crashed since being up for thirty hours is a little taxing. It is pretty much freezing here in the morning and evening. I didn't actually know it could be so cold.

This morning a few of us decided to explore the town, which went very well since we are all more alert and up for actual walking and talking at the same time. Our apartment complex is about twenty minutes from the actual center of town, which is totally gorgeous. The buildings here are nothing like in America since they are all squooshed together with old painted signs and made out of stones. Plus, there are ruins everywhere. On the drive in to Galway, you'd be passing a little sheep farm and there's be a random castle in the backyard. I can't imagine living somewhere where it's like "Oh yes, those are my sheep and..oh that? that's just a 2,000 year old castle."

We ate at this cute little pub that served soup and brown bread. There were these old Irish people there and their dog and they were very nice and also asked us what we thought about "Barack." Then we basically just wandered around looking at all the stores and shops. We saw Galway Cathedral (so pretty), and also an ice-skating rink, which we are planning to visit. Tonight everyone wants to go out and drink at a pub...woo hoo. I will try and post pictures soon but for some reason the picture thing isn't working right now...

6 comments:

  1. oh molly.

    im glad your blogging.

    and im glad you have pink sheets.

    im excited to see the pictures once you get them up on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ultimate Irish experience: drinking at a pub IN a 2,000 year old castle with WITH a sheep.

    Hope your trip continues to be just grand :o)

    (my "removed" post was simply this post with an important grammar modification. just fyi.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed with Rachel - I am excited for pictures of everything!
    THe pink sheets - the castle in your backyard - the cold - oh and of you in the land o' green.
    If you had captured the mullet couple I would have been thankful as well!
    Miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh matching mullets - that made my day.

    ReplyDelete