Friday, March 20, 2009

Lovely Weather and Epic Cinema

I have finally recovered from my bout with the mumps (Thanks for all your prayers and concern!) so I no longer resemble a mutated woodland creature...a fact for which I am extremely grateful. The weather here has been freakishly wonderful, and my friends and I have been spending all our spare time outdoors, basking in the sun. We had a reading session on the dock the other day, and it was fantastic! Life has been rather quiet lately...We are all preparing for the end of classes, which is in 2 weeks (crazy! So many essays coming up!) I will really miss all of my lecturers, like the one who says everything like it is the most epically important statement we will ever hear. Today he informed us (very seriously) that the people in T.S. Eliot's "Waste Land" were either "Soulless Ghouls" or "Bland Businessmen" but we couldn't be sure.

In my Irish language class, we watched some excellent Irish movies. One was titled "Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom" or "Yu Ming is My Name" which was about a Chinese man who is dissatisfied with his life in China and decides to move to Ireland. He learns Irish, but when he moves to Dublin, no one speaks irish anymore (and he doesn't know English). Poor Yu Ming!! He finally meets an old man who helps him get a job in a Gaeltacht (which is an area where irish is spoken). It was very heartwarming...and actually better than the other film, which was about a housewife who decided to go live in a treehouse because she felt unappreciated, but ended up reparing her relationship with her huband through staying in the treehouse...So that was that.

I am heading to Liverpool this weekend (the flight was cheap and my friend was going and wanted company!) so I am looking forward to seeing some sweet Beatles attractions. Hopefully I will have more exciting news soon!

Oh, P.S. Apparently, my friend saw on the news that the mumps outbreak at NUIG is the worst it has ever been. They have never had this many people with the disease!

1 comment:

  1. Eew, the Waste Land...

    HI MOLLY! :o) It's so good to read your updates! We miss you terribly but I'm glad to hear you're having an fantastic time...

    Oh, I was thinking earlier this week -- how did you celebrate St. Patrick's day this year?!

    ReplyDelete